On February 1, 1877 Quitman
County was formed from parts of Tunica, Panola, Coahoma and Tallhatchie counties. The bill for the formation of the county was introduced by Lepold Marks. John M. Stone
The county was named for John A. Quitman
who was born in New York in 1798 and moved to Mississippi in 1821. Quitman was a lawyer. He was also President of the State Senate and later was Governor of the State.
In the war with Mexico, the 1st Mississippi Regiment was organized and was part of General Quitman's Brigade. Quitman was among the first to enter at Belen Gate. The town of Belen, which was the original county seat, was named for this battle.
The earliest known settler of the county was a man
Hill was not unpatriotic. County records show that Tom Hill was awarded 161 acres of land as homestead land on October 4, 1849 for services rendered in the Mexican
The first sheriff of Quitman County was J.T. Phipps. The first clerk was C.E. Stanford. The first judge was Powell.
The second sheriff was James A. Blackmon, son of Joe Blackmon. The second clerk was John Cooper.
J.J. "Uncle Jap" Burleyson was the first voter of the county.
The first marriage certificate issued in the county was for Thirza Hatch, daughter of Will Hatch, to J.J. Blackmon in 1877.
Timber cutting and floating the logs down the river to market was the first industry to come to Quitman County. In 1917, there were five lumber plants at Crowder employing 450 men with a weekly payroll of $10,000. There were also two barrel factories and a stave
factory owned and operated by Mr. Phelps. By 1936, Quitman County industry included Quitman County Meat Curing Plant, Hatcheries and Ice Factory.